Cairngorms Winter Skills - 3 Days
Join us on Cairngorm for this three-day winter mountain skills course. We will spend the time building on the skills you have developed on summer trips, and we will equip you with the knowledge and ability to make safe decisions on how to enjoy Britain's Winter Mountains.
The core elements of this course are basic winter navigation, the use of crampons and an ice axe, decision-making, safe route choice, and avalanche awareness.
- Understanding weather and avalanche risk
- Route planning and winter navigation
- Clothing, equipment, and nutrition
- Introduction to pacing and bearings
- Kicking Steps
- Use of Crampons and Ice Axe
- Ice Axe Arrest
- Practical skills in a real-world journey, utilizing, bearings, pacing, contour interpretation, map memory, and spatial awareness
- Safety on steep ground
- Snow anchors and belays
Who is the course for:
- As a minimum, you should have summer hill walking experience,
- A basic understanding of how to use a map and compass in summer.
- Be physically fit - able to enjoy 6 hrs out in the mountains in challenging conditions.
- A willingness to learn
- Ice axe
Where to meet:
Car Park, Cairngorm Ski Resort
- Instructor ratio 1:6 maximum
- Minimum of 3 people for the course to run
- The minimum age 14yrs, however, those under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
When do we run these courses:
Courses start on either a Saturday or a Wednesday from the end of
December to the end of March. Our Calendar shows real-time availability and you can book online.