Winter Skills Snow Hole Expedition - 3 Days
Join us for an unforgettable winter adventure as we delve into the world of winter skills and snow-holing. This hands-on course will teach you the essential skills and techniques needed to safely navigate and survive in the winter mountains.
Our experienced instructors will guide you through the basics of winter walking, including the use of ice axes and crampons. You'll learn how to move confidently on snowy and icy terrain, as well as how to self-arrest in case of a slip or fall.
But that's not all – we'll also take you on a winter navigation journey, teaching you how to use a map and compass in challenging winter conditions. You'll learn to plan a route, take bearings, and navigate safely through whiteout conditions.
And what better way to end a day of learning than by spending the
night in a snow hole?
Our instructors will teach you how to build a snow hole and provide you with the necessary equipment to spend a cozy night in the mountains. This truly unique experience that will leave you with a sense of accomplishment and a new set of winter survival skills.
So come and join us for winter skills and a snow-hole experience that
will challenge and inspire you. Our courses are suitable for all
levels, from beginners to experienced winter mountaineers. Don't miss
this opportunity to explore the beauty of the winter mountains safely
- Understanding weather and avalanche risk
- Route planning and winter navigation
- Clothing, equipment, and nutrition
- Introduction to pacing and bearings
- Kicking Steps
- Use of Crampons and Ice Axe
- Ice Axe Arrest
- Practical skills in a real-world journey, utilizing, bearings, pacing, contour interpretation, map memory, and spatial awareness
- Safety on steep ground
- Snow anchors and belays
Who is the course for:
- As a minimum, you should have summer hill walking experience,
- A basic understanding of how to use a map and compass in summer.
- Be physically fit - able to enjoy 6 hours out in the mountains in challenging conditions.
- A willingness to learn
- Ice axe
- Snow Shovel and Probe
NB: For snow holing, you will need your own sleeping bag, mat, and bivi bag and a large rucksack to carry it all in. These can be hired from us.
Where to meet:
- Instructor ratio 1:6 maximum
- Minimum of 3 people for the course to run
- The minimum age 14yrs, however, those under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
- Courses start on a Friday or Saturday
- Duration - 3 Days
When do we run these courses:
Starts in January and generally finishes in late March.
A British Winter is very unpredictable, so we reserve the right to amend the schedule, running order, and elements of this experience for safety reasons. if it is unsafe to snowhole, we will take tents and spend a night under the stars.